Thursday, June 21, 2012

Day Five

God never ceases to amaze me with His beautiful creation. Today Anjani took us to Laguna Negra, which was stunning! It was absolutely breath taking. No words could be enough to describe how close I felt to God, given the peacefulness and solidarity found in the stillness of the outdoors. We climbed mountains, saw snow, waterfalls, and some were crazy enough to jump into the freezing lake. Though I didn't brave the cold water and jump in, I'd like to think that I still served a purpose for being there as I drew nearer to God by spending time in His word, writing some affies for my brothers and sisters in Christ, and spending time talking with Loly (a wonderful woman who came with us, she was so sweet and I'm so glad I took the time to get to know her) and also getting to know my friend Holly better. Oh Holly... always a joy to be around! Her laugh and smile are always comforting. We shared what God had been teaching us on this trip. God has a mighty way of revealing to me that I need to work on my patience. Yes I'm aware that patience is a virtue. As our schedule is being changed, I'm taking Brett's approach of keeping my "flexipants" on, knowing that there will be opportunities to minister to others no matter where we go! The other thing that God has been laying on my heart is to love others. Leviticus 19:18 tells us "Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself..." This is perfectly displayed through the ministry team I am working with. Granted it's difficult to live in tight quarters with 30+ people for two weeks and not get irritated at some point, but I am reminded of the love that Jimmy and Anjani (who came from a Baptist church in Abilene,TX) are given and welcomed by Padre Angel and the Catholic church. They all share their identity through Jesus Christ as Christians, not their varying denominations. Prior to our arrival, despite their differences, Jimmy asked the pastor of the Evangelical church if we could sing for them and he declined. When we got here and began to sing in the streets, the pastor changed his mind and invited us to sing for their youth. This the church where David works with youth, so he was ecstatic to host us. Given the importance of the possibility of bridging the gap between the Evangelical church and the ecumenical group, we worshiped with our hearts abandoned and enjoyed a time of fellowship and community, eating dinner and singing songs (in both English and Spanish) with the youth. It was incredible to worship with these kids who are yearning and running towards God.

Laguna Negra
 Me and Lesty! 
 Brett and Kaitlin
 Lily rock climbing
 So beautiful
Tiffany and Lily
Worship with the youth

No comments:

Post a Comment